We know your Contact Data is sacred to you. For years you have meticulously added the contact information your business depends on. It’s completely natural to be nervous before you hit that “Sync!” button.
That’s why we came up with this essential checklist to guarantee the safety of your Contact Data. These are the 5 things you should do before syncing contacts with PieSync:
1) Back up your data
The first and most essential step is to make a backup of your data. Next to the classic business continuity solutions, there are multiple ways to make backups. With application-centric systems such as iCloud, you can very easily make Exports of all your Contact Lists. Found out how here.
If you are using Google Contacts, keep in mind this tool saves your Contacts automatically, so you can always undo changes from the last 30 days.
If what makes you comfortable is an old-school CVS file inside your hard drive, don’t hesitate in do it so. The important thing is to have a backup of your contacts in a safe place.
2) Pause other Syncs
Turn off or pause parallel integrations such as Zapier, Full Contacts or even previous syncs you’ve created with PieSync. Leaving those services on can be lead to unpredictable results.
If you are not sure if you already have any other syncing in progress, you might want to check your CRM’s settings.
3) Time to clean
One of the main benefits of keeping your contacts in sync through PieSync is that you’ll have high-quality data across all your apps, without unnecessary contacts or duplicates.
To remove contacts you won’t ever need, empty Google’s “Other Contacts” folder. That folder is usually filled with out-dated contacts such as that guy you once emailed to help you fix a small leak in the radiator but he’s now retired and you’ll never need to email him again.
To make sure your source and target data don’t have duplicate contacts, you can use the “find and merge duplicates” features. These features are pretty common in most CRM apps and in tools such as Google, iCloud or Outlook. Here you’ll find instructions to manage duplicates in different apps:
- Instructions for Google Contacts
- Instructions for iCloud
- Instructions for Outlook.com
- Instructions for Pipedrive (many other CRM apps have similar instructions)
In case you can’t find a way to merge your duplicate contacts, take a look at our blog post: 5 ways to eliminate duplicate contacts.
Thanks to our Intelligent Syncing Engine, PieSync helps you to avoid duplicates.
4) Do a manual check
Even though we’re in the age of hi-tech, it still can’t beat the human brain. That’s why is useful to perform a quick manual check after you’ve done the above steps. Look out for name misspellings, or contacts that use multiple email addresses.
In case you notice a mistake, you can manually merge whichever duplicates that weren’t detected automatically, delete old contacts or old addresses.
5) Run a test sync
If you want to test PieSync on a limited dataset, you can apply some Intelligent Syncing rules to narrow down the sync.
- A way to do this is to create a “test-tag” and establish a rule to sync only contacts with that tag your other app. If you only tag one contact in your CRM with this very specific tag, only that contact will sync. The other contacts remain untouched.
- Don’t have tags in your app? Consider creating a “test-contact” or “test e-mail address” and only leave this rule enabled. Works just as well, but keep in mind that sometimes a “test e-mail address” won’t get created inside your ESP client.
- Furthermore, you can always disable rules to prevent contacts from being created into an environment where you want to avoid unexpected contacts from being pushed towards!
By following these 5 steps, you won’t have to worry about any unexpected mistake that could jeopardize your priceless contacts data. In case you have any problems with your syncing, please don’t hesitate in contacting our Support Team at email@example.com or visit our Help Center.