Which apps are you using to power your marketing operations?
Most teams collect and use data in their CRM as well as several marketing apps, such as an email marketing tool and automation software.
These apps enable you to streamline operations, bring in more leads and carry out effective marketing campaigns.
However, do they work together and exchange data about your marketing leads and customers, or do they operate in silos?
If you take away one thing from this post, make it this:
Your marketing apps are strong independently, but they're most powerful together.
As a marketer, the most impactful sync to set up is between your CRM and marketing apps.
This sync has the potential to enrich the data in all of your marketing platforms, amplifying your possibilities for segmented and personalized communication that delights your leads and boosts performance. It also sets you up for the best alignment with sales.
Fortunately, it's never been easier to connect your CRM with your marketing apps using an iPaaS (Integration Platform as a Service) like PieSync.
This enables you to connect your organization's business tools and let data flow to all the right places, rather than stagnating in silos.
Read on for our rundown of how to easily get started connecting your CRM and marketing apps.
Reasons to connect your CRM and marketing apps
If you have a disconnected marketing stack and your tools don't play nicely together, you will be able to recognize some of these common problems:
- You struggle to find the most up-to-date and reliable marketing data
- ... or reliable marketing data doesn't even exist
- Your data quality is affected by duplicate contacts
- Your apps have data gaps or conflicting information
- Your sales team complain about not having enough understanding of leads
- You have to repeatedly export and import CSVs to get a full picture of your customer data
Your marketing stack will look like this, with your data sitting firmly in each app:
To fix these problems for good, your apps need to talk to one another.
PieSync enables this by letting your apps communicate in a true two-way sync. You can map out how you want to sync each information field across apps, ensuring that each contact property is correct in every app.
This is different from most native integrations offered by your apps because it creates a two-way, highly customizable sync.
By connecting your CRM database and marketing apps, you can:
- Create the most personalized email campaigns and workflows with segmentation data from your CRM
- See the latest data in every app and keep a 100% updated email list
- Avoid duplicate contacts
- Make sure subscription status is instantly reflected across all apps
- Fix and avoid data silos between teams
- Stop relying on CSVs for contact management
- Deliver marketing qualified leads in real time to your sales team in the best app for them
With effective syncs in place, your marketing stack will look more like this:
Much better, right?
An example of how to sync data between your CRM and marketing apps
Say you're using Copper as your CRM.
You can head to your PieSync dashboard, create a new connection with Copper, and view all of the apps that you can sync two ways:
Let's say you choose to sync contact data in Copper with Mailchimp as your email marketing platform.
This will create the most up-to-date email list and enable you to enrich your Mailchimp contacts with other insights currently locked away in Copper (such as whether they're a customer or not).
After authorizing both apps, you can choose how you want to map the right contacts and fields to get the data you want on both platforms.
You can decide that if Copper leads are tagged "Customer", they're automatically synced to Mailchimp and tagged "Customer" there too.
This will come in handy when you want to send customer-only communication, or exclude them from messaging for new leads.
So the sync knows which data properties to pair together, we can also map the right fields between the apps:
There are also a few more preferences you can pay attention to create the most customized and accurate sync between your CRM and marketing apps.
- To only sync contacts with an email address attached to them, select Avoid duplicates.
- To keep or avoid syncing unsubscribed contacts, update the checkbox for Show my Mailchimp unsubscribes in Copper.
- To help your data comply to data protection rules, select Use Double Opt-in.
Tips for the best sync between your CRM and marketing apps
With integration tools like PieSync, you don't need any special tech skills to start connecting data in your CRM and marketing apps.
To get the best results, here are a few of our tips:
Create a two-way sync when you want to keep the same data in both apps and update any changes in real time.
Sync tags, labels and list memberships between your apps to allow for the best segmentation and personalization in either app.
Clean up your data between connecting your apps and follow our pre-sync guidelines.
To sync your CRM with your marketing stack – and other business tools too – your first step is creating a PieSync account. Get going with a free trial and take your first steps to organizing your data across all the right apps.